Friday, August 24, 2007

Personal confession time

Remember that horrible movie The Bodyguard? There are usually 2 things about that movie that sticks in people's minds:
1 - The review of the movie from Entertainment Weekly: "It's like watching two statues trying to mate."
2 - "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston.

I think most people can agree that Whitney Houston has quite the set of pipes on her and she did a great job with that song, even though it suffered from gross overplay on the airwaves. What some people may not know is that Dolly Parton wrote that song and, before Whitney made it into a huge pop hit, Dolly took it to country radio.

I had to run into the a local bookstore today to pick up some cards for work and Dolly Parton's version of the song was playing. Sad, but true...I really prefer Dolly's saccharine, syrupy version of that song to Whitney's. I don't know why...it's just the way it is.

No comments: