Friday, August 17, 2007

How'd the old place do?

Well, US News and World Report published it's annual list of the best universities. Good ole Bill and Mary placed at #33, which I think is about where it was last year. I may get in great trouble for saying this, but it TOTALLY STOMPED ALL OVER STUDMUFFIN'S ALMA MATER, which showed up at #118 (hey, at least it made the list!)

I do think, though, that this list might be completely full of crap. I know people who have gone to (and graduated) from schools ranked #1-32 and, frankly, I think some of them lost out on their education. But, even more proof, and far less subjective on my part, is the "Best Values" list. Here are the top 10 "Best Value" schools:
1 - Harvard
2 - Princeton
3 - Yale
4. CalTech
5. MIT
6. Stanford
7. Dartmouth
8. Columbia
9. UNC - Chapel Hill
10. Duke

So, under the best values, 9 of the top 10 schools (I'm guessing that UNC-Chapel Hill is probably reasonably priced) are the 9 most expensive schools to attend? How is that a best value? And, frankly, how much did the Boards of Visitors pay US News and World Report to put them on the list?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm equally baffled by the best values list. I can only imagine that they are defining values as social values or some other kind of values rather than financial values. Unless they are trying to make the argument that your ratio of income to tuition is higher at those schools. Even then it's still hard to buy.

And please tell me that the UW finished higher than WSU on the best universities list.